Wire electrical discharge machining, also known as wire EDM, is a contact-free machining method that uses a thin metal wire to conduct an electrical current. The current creates sparks, which are used to accurately cut a workpiece into the pre-programmed design. At South Shore Manufacturing, we offer high-quality wire EDM services to meet the needs of various applications. Our expertise combined with state-of-the-art machinery allows us to create extremely detailed and complex parts that adhere to strict tolerances.
What is Wire EDM?
Wire EDM uses a thin wire composed of copper or brass to conduct electrical current between an electrical source and an electrically conductive base material. The current creates sparks capable of cutting the substrate into pre-programmed designs. The material is submerged in deionized water to prevent overheating or warping, facilitating smooth and precise cuts. Wire EDM is especially valuable for the creation of extremely intricate shapes, complex designs, and geometric angles that are difficult or impossible to create using other manufacturing techniques.
How Does Wire Electrical Discharge Machining Work?
During the wire EDM process, the material is carved, shaved, and otherwise removed from the workpiece through a series of repetitive current discharges between a wire electrode and the conductive substrate. The electrode and workpiece are immersed in a dielectric fluid, such as deionized water, maintaining a gap between them.
Wire EDM uses potential difference, which is applied to the electrode and workpiece in pulse form. As this occurs, electrons from the negative electrode move towards the positive workpiece, colliding with the molecules of the deionized water. The electrons convert the molecules into ions, increasing the concentration of ions and electrons between the electrode and workpiece. The electrons move towards the electrode and the ions move towards the workpiece, which creates an electric current.
As the electric current moves between the electrode and workpiece, the temperature increases to approximately 10,000° C. The intense heat vaporizes and melts material away from the workpiece. Once the current stops, the molten material is carried or flushed away by circulating dielectric fluid.
The accuracy of the wire EDM process is heavily dependent on cutting parameters and speed. At higher speeds, the wire can slightly move or bend, affecting overall accuracy. To ensure the highest possible accuracy, it is best to maintain lower power and speed. With higher speeds, tolerances of +/- 0.001’’ are achievable, while tolerances of up to +/- 0.0002’’ are achievable with lower power and speed.
When compared to other methods of machining, such as CNC machining, milling/turning, and laser drilling, wire EDM offers a wide range of advantages. Although these alternative techniques offer certain benefits for specific applications, they also have numerous disadvantages.
Disadvantages of CNC Machining:
- CNC machines are expensive and require a higher initial investment
- Loss of manual machining skills
- Increased automation results in the need for less manpower, which could result in increased unemployment levels
Disadvantages of Milling/Turning:
- High machinery and setup costs
- Milling machine operators require specialized training
- Designing and programming takes a lot of time, making it unsuitable for small projects
Disadvantages of Laser Drilling/Cutting:
- Requires high power consumption
- High capital investment
- Lasers are delicate to handle, meaning a slight mistake during adjustments can result in discoloration and other issues
Wire EDM is one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to machine electrically conductive and hard materials with extreme accuracy. This method is capable of quickly and easily cutting complex shapes while achieving very high tolerances. It is also a no impact cutting method, meaning it can machine fragile, brittle, and hard materials without the risk of distortion.
Advantages of Wire Electrical Discharge Machining
Wire EDM offers a wide range of advantages over alternative manufacturing techniques. These advantages include:
- Cost-effective. Wire EDM cuts workpieces directly, eliminating the need for costly tools and molds. It can quickly and accurately cut both hard and delicate materials with quick turnaround times and significantly less labor compared to other manufacturing methods. Wire EDM also produces less waste, saving on material costs.
- Minimal distortion. Wire EDM can cut through a variety of materials, both hard and fragile, without damaging the cutting equipment and without distorting the surface or edges of the material.
- High production speed. Wire EDM machinery can be set up and programmed quickly. Since finished components have clean edges and smooth surfaces, it eliminates the need for additional tooling and finishing processes, which significantly reduces lead times.
- Extreme accuracy. Since wire EDM uses an extremely fine wire, it provides extremely precise cuts on even the most complex shapes and designs while adhering to strict tolerances.
- Part complexity. Wire EDM is ideal for producing small, intricate, and detailed components. This makes it an extremely popular manufacturing option for industries such as medical and aerospace that require extremely complex and accurate parts.
Applications that Utilize Wire EDM
The inherent properties of the wire EDM process make it ideal for extremely intricate designs, complex shapes, and components that require geometric angles that are impossible to achieve using other manufacturing methods. Common applications of wire EDM include:
- Mold and die manufacturing
- Punch tools
- Small, highly detailed components
- Precision machine parts such as gears and splines
- Medical devices and surgical instruments
- Small hand tools
- Prototype manufacturing
Wire EDM Services at South Shore Manufacturing
Wire EDM machining is a highly cost-effective manufacturing method that offers minimal distortion, quick production speeds, and high levels of accuracy even for extremely complex parts. These benefits make wire EDM popular for a wide range of applications from aerospace and medical to firearms and prototype manufacturing.
At South Shore Manufacturing, we are dedicated to producing the highest quality wire EDM precision parts in the industry. With a wide range of material options and an extensive fleet of state-of-the-art EDM machinery, we can produce parts with extreme precision and repeatability. From prototype to high production volumes, we ensure quick turnaround times and on-time delivery. To learn more about our wire EDM services, contact us today, or request a quote to start your next project.