As the largest wire EDM services provider in New England, South Shore Manufacturing provides rapid turnarounds for prototyping and high-volume production runs alike. We specialize in precision wire EDM and a variety of machining services for clients in a wide range of industries. This page will go over the specific services we provide for each of these markets.
Aerospace & Aviation
- Wire EDM: Aerospace applications require small, complex components with fine details that can be difficult to machine. Electrical discharge machining (EDM) can create complex geometries with a variety of materials.
- Water Jet Cutting: As a cold-cutting process, water jet cutting is ideal for producing components that cannot be altered by heat exposure. This process uses water jet tables to make detailed cuts and drill holes.
- Fiber Laser Cutting: Fiber lasers offer a versatile, cost-effective way to produce thousands to millions of cooling holes in aerospace components, no matter the diameter of the hole or the thickness of the material.
- CNC Machining: CNC machining offers exceptional accuracy and repeatability. In aerospace machining, it can achieve tolerances as tight as 0.00004 inches, which is necessary given the extreme environments these parts will encounter, such as high pressure, speeds, and temperatures.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: Laser marking provides the durable engraving required for aerospace component traceability.
Automotive & Transportation
- Wire EDM: The automotive industry requires a variety of delicate, complex parts that can be created with wire EDM.
- Water Jet Cutting: Effective for steel, titanium, and other hard materials, this technique is effective at cutting components without creating heat-affected zones (HAZ).
- Fiber Laser Cutting: This method is commonly used to make precise exhaust parts, car doors, flat parts, and metal components.
- CNC Machining: Because automotive machining must produce durable and precise components, CNC machining is frequently used to make engine parts, brakes, tooling, and more.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: Automotive components must endure harsh conditions, so laser marking ensures that any necessary information, from warnings to serial numbers to tracing information, will withstand the elements in a way that paint or labels may not.
From circuit boards to appliances to semiconductors, consumer goods require precise machining techniques. Parts created for this industry include products people use every day. CNC machining, cutting, engraving, and marking techniques help control the cost and quality of the finished product.
- Wire EDM: Over the years, electronic devices have gotten smaller and more complicated, requiring more intricate machining of highly complex parts. Wire EDM can accommodate these challenges, producing precise, repeatable results.
- Water Jet Cutting: To make circuit boards, insulation, and other electronic components, water jet cutting produces clean, smooth cuts in delicate plastic, foam, and metal materials that would otherwise not be able to endure the pressure and heat of other cutting methods.
- Fiber Laser Cutting: Fiber laser cutting is another excellent option for creating accurate, clean lines. It’s commonly used for electronic components made of aluminum, copper, or brass.
- CNC Machining: CNC machining allows for incredible precision, minimal waste, and quick production, all of which drive production costs down—thus reducing the cost of the final product. The electronics industry’s success is largely due to CNC machining.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: Laser marking is used primarily for traceability purposes on electronic devices.
- Wire EDM: Without using excess pressure or heat, wire EDM can manufacture rifle parts—like fire control systems and receivers—without the risk of distortion or heat stress, eliminating the need for secondary finishing processes.
- CNC Machining: Any part of a firearm can be made with CNC machining.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: In addition to engraving serial numbers, laser marking helps create custom designs and personalized effects.
- CNC Machining & Wire EDM: These two processes can produce large and small ship components that are uniquely shaped or require special materials. These components usually must be able to withstand direct saltwater exposure and humidity.
- Water Jet & Fiber Laser Cutting: These are ideal for creating the front plate of the ship.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: Marine components are subject to corrosion, so laser engraving helps serial numbers and other markings withstand harsh conditions.
- Wire EDM: Wire EDM commonly makes syringes, regulator valves for oxygen masks, surgical screws, cathodes, and more.
- Water Jet Cutting: Water jet cutting can produce highly precise medical devices and other components.
- Fiber Laser Cutting: Fiber laser cutting allows for exceptional precision and efficiency in even the most detailed components made of stainless steel and titanium alloys, materials that are essential for medical and pharmaceutical devices.
- CNC Machining: Versatile enough for almost any material, CNC medical machining can produce implants, electronic equipment, surgical instruments, and more.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: Laser marking is ideal for product identification and traceability in this industry.
Military & Defense
- Wire EDM: Military components must meet stringent standards for safety and effectiveness in harsh conditions, and wire EDM provides the extreme precision and quality required to meet these specifications.
- Water Jet Cutting: This method is effective for many materials used in the defense industry, including Kevlar composites and heavy plate steel up to 250 mm thick.
- CNC Machining: Military components must meet exacting specifications and regulations set out by the U.S. government. The precision and efficiency of CNC machining make it a clear choice for reliable mass production.
- Laser Marking & Engraving: From serial and part numbers to schematics and graphics, laser marking and engraving help identify and keep track of military products.
Oil & Gas
Drilling rigs are typically isolated, so a leak or breakdown can be catastrophic in environmental, safety, and financial terms. Therefore, the industry relies on CNC machining for precise, reliable parts to prevent leaks and equipment failure.
Research & Development
- Wire EDM: Because it’s efficient and enables quick turnarounds, wire EDM is common for prototyping in this industry.
- Water Jet Cutting: With no custom tooling required, water jet cutting is a cost-effective method for research and development.
- Fiber Laser Cutting: This quick, efficient method is best suited for low-volume production, making it another great choice for prototyping and research purposes.
- CNC Machining: CNC machining is ideal for prototypes that must be strong and durable.
- Wire EDM: Wire EDM is a common robotic machining technique that can be used for standard and exotic metals of varying hardness, and it’s commonly used to make grippers and metal jaws.
- CNC Machining: Accuracy, repeatability, and cost efficiency make CNC machining the ideal choice for producing a range of robotic parts.
Wire EDM & Precision Machining Services From South Shore Manufacturing
With over 37 years of experience and a 10,000-square-foot facility, South Shore Manufacturing is here for all your precision machining needs. We’ve worked extensively with clients in the above-mentioned industries, and our wire EDM machines run close to 24/7 to ensure timely, high-quality product deliveries. Visit our services page for an overview of our capabilities. Contact us today to learn more about our services, or request a quote for your project.